Friday, January 9, 2009

Indian Politics Affect My Visit

About two days ago I read in the newspaper that truck drivers were going to go on strike.  Their demands: cheaper diesel fuel, tires, and hire wages.  But, in the past couple of days, others have joined the strike including petrol truck drivers and workers in petrol refineries.  Today, most petrol stations ran out of petrol and the entire country has worried.  (See article and pictures below).

This affects me in a number of different ways.  First, this strike could affect my ability to get to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.  While it is not entirely crucial for me to visit this modern Wonder of the World, it was something I was looking forward to.  Secondly, if the strike continues (either in trucking or the refineries) for too long, I may not be able to get home.  Air fuel is scarce as well.  But, this fear is far off and after hearing a recent report about 70 percent of the striking petrol truck drivers going back to work, I am not too concerned.  

Otherwise, the petrol shortage has kept us at home today.  And, the cold has kept us inside.  The positive side to all of this is that I have made some progress in planning my rhetoric class.  Work that I would have had to do while in the States and jet lagged.

No comments:

Post a Comment